The capital city of the United Arab Emirates, and also the second largest city of the country, Abu Dhabi shines above all with its state-of-the-art architecture, stunning wonders, a bagful of world records, and of course, the tag of being the richest city in the world! Here are some mind-blowing facts about Abu Dhabi recommended which will make you want to visit it now!
- Not only one of the world’s largest mosques, but also one of the prettiest, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is one the most stunning wonders of the UAE. Believe it or not, the mosque holds multiple world records, displaying the world’s largest chandelier (10 metres in diameter, 15 metres in height), supporting the world’s largest dome (32.7 metres in diameter), and is also home to the world’s largest carpet!
- Popularly known as the “Leaning Tower of Abu Dhabi”, the 35-storeyed Capital Gate tower of Abu Dhabi takes away the record for being the furthest leaning man-made of the world. Soaring at a height of 160 metres, and with an 18 degree westward lean, the Capital Gate Tower’s lean is four times greater than even the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy. The Guinness World Records certified the tower as the “World’s furthest leaning man-made tower.”
- Abu Dhabi is home to the largest indoor theme park in the world – the Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. Inaugurated in 2010, the massive Ferrari World Abu Dhabi theme park is located on Yas Island.
- As if being the world’s largest indoor theme park wasn’t a record in itself, the Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is also home to the planet’s fastest roller coaster, and also include 20-odd more Ferrari-themed rides. Some of these rides include ‘Formula Rossa’, ‘Speed of Magic’, ‘G-Force’, ‘Made in Maranello’, and more.
- Are you are car buff? Crazy about Grand Prix? Abu Dhabi houses the second Formula One Track in the Middle East – the Yas Island Marina Circuit (the first one being in Bahrain), which has a capacity to sustain a jaw-dropping 50,000 spectators! What’s more, the circuit features 12 storeys, 499 rooms, and an extravagant resort hotel, which royally forms a bridge over a part of the circuit.
- The Yas Hotel in Abu Dhabi has an outer shell that is made up of 5,056 glass panels, which are looked after by a team of 15 window cleaners. It takes these cleaners almost one whole month to clean the entire exterior!
- The palatial Emirates Palace hotel in Abu Dhabi features more than a thousand Swarovski crystal chandeliers, with the heaviest chandelier weighing almost 2.5 tonnes! This stunning beachfront hotel sprawls on a pristine white-sand beach of 1.3 kms, and also features over a hundred domes!
- The glittering emirate city of Abu Dhabi is known to have the fifth largest natural gas reserve on the plane, and is also home to about eight percent of the world’s entire oil.